The British Dressage U21 Selectors have completed the selection process for the 2021 European Children, Junior and Young Riders Championships set to take place in Oliva Nova, Spain, 05 - 11 July 2021.
Teams of four riders have been selected to take part in the Junior and Young Rider Championships, while a single rider will compete as an individual for Great Britain in the Children competition.
BD International Director Judy Harvey commented; “All of our Under 21 riders have done fantastically well to produce their horses and achieve the required scores to qualify to represent Great Britain at the European Championships, in what has been a challenging year all round. We very much hope, COVID-permitting, that they’ll be able to compete at the Europeans and we have every confidence that they’ll perform at their best, well supported by the BD international team, who will travel with them to Spain.”
- Demi Howard-Cartwright with Nathalie Kayal’s Cleverboy (bay gelding, 2007, Sandreo x Katell, KWPN).
British Junior Team
- Mette Dahl with Fiona Bigwood’s Florina 146 (bay mare, 2010, Fürst Romancier x Donnerhall, HANN).
- Holly Kerslake with Laura Summers’ Extasia (black mare, 2009, Zucchero, KWPN).
- Gemma Owen with her own Sirius Black (black gelding, 2005, Stedinger x Rotspon, HANN).
- Annabella Pidgley with Sarah Pidgley’s Sultan des Paluds FRH (liver chestnut gelding, 2010, Soliman des Hus x De Niro, HANN).
Direct reserve (non-travelling) – Annabella Pidgley with Sarah Pidgley’s Hilus MHB (bay gelding, 2012, Johnson x Don Primero, SWB).
No further Reserves.
British Young Rider Team
- Caitlin Burgess with her own Chocotof (dark brown gelding, 2007, Lord Leatherdale, KWPN).
- Maddy Frewin with Christine Kirk’s Woodlander Rhythm n Blues (dark bay gelding, 2007, Woodlander Rockstar x Londonderry, BWBS).
- Jessica McConkey with her own Lady Gaga (bay mare, 2009, Quaterback x Solos Landwind, DWB).
- Charlotte McDowall from Newent, Gloucestershire with her own Alivia (black mare, 2005, Olivi x Roemer, KWPN).
All selected combinations will head to The Unicorn Trust Equestrian Centre in Stow-on-the-Wold for a pre-European Championship training camp over the weekend of 20-21 June before setting off for Spain at the end of June.
Chief Executive Jason Brautigam commented: “It has been a really tough year for our Under 21s, due to the truncated fixture calendar and limited opportunities to compete, so we are very grateful for the support and understanding of our young riders and parents during this difficult time. Under the circumstances, I am delighted that we are still able to field teams for both Juniors and Young Riders, as well as have individual representation in Children on Horses. We still have to tackle whatever obstacles COVID continues to put in our way, but we will do whatever we can to get our riders to Oliva safely and able to produce their best performances at the Championships next month.”
Photo © Astrid Appels
Eurodressage Coverage of the European Children, Junior, Young Riders Championships