Children rider Irma Wickstrom and junior rider Ida Persson became the winners of the 2020 Swedish Children and Junior Riders Championships, which were held at a national competition at Laholms riding club on 21 - 26 July 2020.
Request to Go to Budapest Self Funded Denied
The Swedish Equestrian Federation decided that it will not be sending any riders to the 2020 European Youth Championships in Budapest due to Covid-19, ending the dream of many riders to compete in their highlight competition of the year. The Swedish Federation had planned team selection trials in Flyinge in July
Many parents have pleaded with the federation to be allowed to go at their own risk and self-funded without financial support from the federation, but the Swedish NF has said no.
Eurodressage inquired into this joint request that was launched by numerous parents. However, when we asked several parents to go public, the story changed into one of "we fully accept the decision." This is not an unusual stance as many parents and riders are often apprehensive to go against a federation's standpoint in public, out of fear of not being selected on the team next year due to "unsportsmanlike behaviour."
As a small mental consolation, Swedish youth riders will have to be content with riding for medals at the National Championships. The first were held for the Children and juniors and were judged by Annette Fransén Iacobeus, Magnus Ringmark, and Susanne Rudholm. Lennart Lindelöw, managing director of the Swedish Equestrian Federation, was on the scene for the prize giving ceremony.
The event took place indoor.
The Children division featured 8 pairs in totals and the Championship was ridden over two rounds, the team championship and individual test.
The 13-year old Irma Wickström left no doubt about her dominance in her age category. Aboard the 14-year old Dutch warmblood Bossa Nova (by Krack C x Cocktail), she won both rounds, scoring 77.356% in the team test and 78.968% in the individual test and taking the victory with 156.324 points and a 13 percentage point lead to the second placed pair. The pair is coached by Rebecca Mauleon.
"This is crazy," said a thrilled Wickstrom. "This is so much fun; a memory that will last a long time."
Olivia Berglund Bergakra and the 12-year old Swedish warmblood mare Bella Rich (by Richfield x Marwin) were the solid silver medal winners. They finished third in the team test with 75.144% but were convincingly second in the individual test with 68.607%. They landed second place with 143.751 points.
The bronze medal went to Ebba Wallin on the 20-year old KWPN gelding Tubular Bells (by Mondriaan x Widor). After a second place in the team test with 76.923%, the dropped to fifth place in the individual test with 63.769% to finish third overall with 140.692 points.
Persson On Top
Forty-three combinations competed in the Junior Championship, which was decided over three rounds. The best 15 riders from the first two tests were eligible to ride the freestyle on Sunday.
Seasoned junior rider Ida Persson and her 20-year old Dutch warmblood gelding Tago (by Larix x Indiaan A) are now three years into their partnership and the combination has certainly gelled with several international successes and now also the national Swedish Junior Champion title. The pair was third in the team test (69.293%) but won the Individual (70.981%) as well as the freestyle (72.180%). They earned the gold with a 213.084 percentage point total. Persson is trained by Johanna Due Boje.
"My amazing horse keeps delivering and showing me what a champion he is," said an ecstatic Persson. "It's hard to keep my happy tears back
Amanda Lindholm and her 13-year old Swedish mare Rozette (by Rosevelt x Ragazzo) earned silver with 211.225 points. They were second in the team test with 70.404%, fourth in the individual test (68.971%) and climbed back up to second place in the freestyle with 71.850%.
Ellen Olsson and Jan Brink's 10-year old Swedish stallion Daimjenko (by Dancier x Worldly) got the bronze with 207.750 points. After a slower start with a 12th place in the team test (66.616%), the pair climbed its way up to a third place in the individual test (69.559%) and a fourth in the Kur (71.575%) to finish third overall.
The 2019 Swedish junior Champion and the winner of the team test on day one with 72.475%, Felicia Olofsson on the 14-year old Swedish bred Bellman (by Hermes x Prestige VDL), saw her Championship ended when the horse did not lass the tack check after his second test and was eliminated.
Results - 2020 Swedish Children and Junior Championships
- 1. Irma Wickström - Bossa Nova - 77.356 - 78.968 --- 156.324
- 2. Olivia Berglund Bergåkra - Bella Rich - 75.144 - 68.607 --- 143.751
- 3. Ebba Wallin - Tubular Bells - 76.923 - 63.769 --- 140.692
- 4. Ellen Sandell - Hummer - 74.904 - 63.593 --- 138.497
- 5. Jennie Lundberg - Marten - 67.943 - 67.722 --- 135.665
- 6. Nathalie Henriksson Lindvall - Harlequin Pride - 69.116 - 64.565 --- 133.681
- 7. Olga Fischer - Hello Chello B - 65.029 - 60.292 --- 125.321
- 8. Felicia Sjö - Stella - 69.471 - 55.806 --- 125.277
Junior Riders (top 15 only)
- 1. Ida Persson - Tago - 69.293 - 70.981 - 72.810 --- 213.084
- 2. Amanda Lindholm - Rozette - 70.404 - 68.971 - 71.850 --- 211.225
- 3. Ellen Olsson - Daimjenko - 66.616 - 69.559 - 71.575 --- 207.750
- 4. My Sandgren - Hampuz M.Ge - 66.313 - 69.608 - 71.585 --- 207.506
- 5. Sofia Heimburg - Guanaja - 67.929 - 68.726 - 70.525 --- 207.180
- 6 Siri Ryrstedt - Stargazer - 67.626 - 69.363 - 69.990 --- 206.979
- 7. Siri Ehrnrooth - Elverhöjs Olympia - 68.586 - 67.451 - 70.075 --- 206.112
- 8. Blanca Bosson - Cardon M - 67.273 - 67.647 - 70.200 --- 205.120
- 9. Nina Jenemark - Belisko - 67.374 - 67.598 - 69.275 --- 204.247
- 10. Cecilia Korva-Johansson - Arina G - 66.010 - 68.676 - 69.025 --- 203.711
- 11. Olivia Falk - Picnic - 67.323 - 67.892 - 68.325 --- 203.540
- 12. Tindra Holmertz - Celine Dion - 66.515 - 65.931 - 69.415 --- 201.861
- 13. Laura Laustsen - Pasteur - 67.273 - 66.765 - 67.075 --- 201.113
- 14. Amanda Barnestam Olsson - Benicia - 67.778 - 66.569 - 66.350 --- 200.697
- 15. Moa Angshed - Vandolein - 65.404 - 66.863 - 68.130 --- 200.397